Children’s Program Administrator Credential

The Children’s Program Administrator Credential of New York State is designed to provide for and be recognized as a standard by which to measure program management, fiscal management, and leadership abilities of early childhood and school-age program administrators.

College Credits Needed for Candidacy:

  1. An Associate’s Degree (or 60 credits towards a bachelor’s degree)
  2. 18 credits in child development or related courses (could be part of Associates Degree)
  3. 18 credits in Children’s Program Administration.
    Total college credits routinely needed is 78 credits. On a rare occasion a candidate may have a combination of courses that would reduce that number.

There are several resources available in New York State, and other areas, offering course work for the CPAC.  Take a look at these colleges and universities to see if they are right for you!

CUNY School of Professional Studies

Early Childhood Education Management & Leadership
Graduate courses leading to the CPAC (Children’s Program Administrator Credential)
Offered in partnership with the New York Early Childhood Professional Development Institute (PDI) (earlychildhoodny.org), the graduate-level courses in early childhood education administration at the CUNY School of Professional Studies (sps.cuny.edu/cpac) are designed for current early childhood program directors who desire to be more effective leaders, or require course work to meet the accreditation standards, new directors interested in administrator certification, and the next generation of leaders who require preparation as administrators. The courses will educate, train, and inspire directors to create excellent environments for the children and families they serve.

Empire State College

As expectations for the educational preparation of workers in the fields of early child care and education rise, SUNY Empire State College offers you the course work that prepares you to work and advance in the early child care and education profession, such as day care programs, infant/toddler and nursery school settings, pre-K and Head Start.

Your individually designed degree program may be an associate or bachelor’s degree, or both. You may develop a concentration in early childhood or a related field.

In addition to degree programs, the college provides you with the college-level academic preparation required for the children’s program administrator credential and the infant-toddler care and education credential offered by the New York State Association for the Education of Young Children (NYSAEYC).

New CPAC Courses and Information

Hudson Valley Community College

The certificate program is aimed at those who are already employed administering or directing an early childhood education program and who are seeking to obtain the Children’s Program Administrator Credential (CPAC). The 24-credit certificate offers intensive coursework on the administration of early childhood facilities and provides verifiable professional development for those in the field.

The certificate offers students the courses and credits in early childhood administration that are needed for the Child Program Administrator Credential. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to submit the required portfolio for the CPAC credential.

The college also offers an associate degree program in Early Childhood Administration for those who wish to enter the field but have little or no experience.

University of Wisconsin-Platteville

We know you are busy and we have designed this program to cause as little disruption to your daily routine as possible. You will never have to come to Wisconsin, as these courses are 100% online.

All of your courses will be available via access from your computer on the Desire2Learn course content site. Then you will also be able to connect with your instructor and other Child Care Administrators during live, online evening classes via web conferencing. Learn from instructors who have experience working in early childhood education and have experience teaching other early childhood educators online. We will help you put together the portfolio of work that you will need to complete the Credential. You can do this and we are here to help you.

Back to Top